Today’s modern machine tools are truly a marvel of engineering and technology. Parts that used to take 3 or 4 operations to complete are now “Done-in-One” with minimal operator interaction. Horizontal machining centers, multi-tasking machines and 5-axis machines are often paired with automated loading and unloading, Palletech systems or robotic tending. Machine tools have become true “process equipment” where unscheduled down time has an even more acute impact on productivity.
Having your advanced manufacturing technology on a regular preventive maintenance schedule is more important than ever. Here are the top 4 benefits of performing regular preventive maintenance on your machines:
- Reduced unscheduled downtime: Manufacturers are more reliant than ever on automated machine tools. Spindle utilization rates of over 90% on some equipment means that downtime is more costly than ever. Studies have shown that performing regular preventive maintenance can reduce unscheduled downtime by as much as 50%.
- Enhanced machine performance: Performing regular maintenance ensures that your machines are running optimally leading to improved performance and productivity.
- Extended machine life: Regular inspections associated with maintenance can identify and address issues that could potentially become more significant problems before they cause costly damage. This can extend the useful life of the machine allowing manufacturers to maximize their return on investment.
- Improved part quality: Preventive maintenance often combines accuracy and alignment checks that help ensure that the machine is producing the highest quality parts. Identification of wear and subsequent corrections increases the quality and accuracy of finished parts.
Smith Machinery’s long partnership with Smith NeoTech service group combined with Mazak’s local service staff provide a wide range of preventive maintenance services to help keep your investment running optimally.
Preventive Maintenance services are offered for Vertical CNC Mills, CNC Lathes, Horizontal Machining Centers, Multi-tasking machines, and Vertical and Horizontal 5 axis Mills.
- Change of all filters, lubricants and fluids (except coolant)
- Spindle runout checks, axis accuracy checks
- Machine leveling, tram adjustment and alignments
- General cleaning including chips behind way covers
- Inspection of wear and tear items to identify and recommend replacement to preempt failure